The Love You Take Is Equal to the Love You Make...

Okay, so this is probably one of my ALL TIME favorite skits from SNL.  I find that we refer to it a lot because of Chris Farley's final question to Paul McCartney when he asks him if the phrase at the end of a song on Abby Road which states "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make" is true.


Whenever I hear people complain about nobody calling them or nobody coming around it's like hey, do YOU call anybody?  Do YOU help anyone out when they need it?  We have an acquaintance that literally sucks the life out of us.  They are extremely demanding with what they expect from others but really, they do NOTHING for anyone!  Don't call me and tell me what I have to do or how disappointed you are that no one comes around when you need help because you don't do anything to make anyone want to help you!  Does that make sense?


Would you go out of your way to help someone move if they never once showed you any consideration?  Would you loan someone your car if they never once called to just see how you are?  It would be weird, right?  You know, we are going through all of this nonsense with the bathroom and I put a plea out on Facebook essentially BEGGING for help.  I have 575 friends on Facebook and only TWO people responded and they both live 600 miles away.  They weren't joking around and saying that they'd be here, but they were genuinely sorry that they couldn't help.  At first I was pissed that no one responded or came to help but then I had to stop and think of how many times have I gone and helped someone.  I mean, I do help others but not as much as I could or should.  

The thing is, I KNOW this about myself and don't go around throwing guilt trips about it...well, not a lot, anyway!  :)  But I get annoyed with the entitlement that people throw around.  How everyone has to do something for THEM.  Sorry, it's not all about you and really, to quote the Beatles one more time "And in the end...the love you take is equal to the love you make"

Remember that one and think...when was the last time you picked up the phone and called someone just to say hi?  Have you returned all of your phone calls/messages?  Do you have a friend in crisis that could maybe just use five minutes to laugh?  Is your e-mail inbox full of messages from people who want to know how you are?  Have you responded?  No one is going to think about you when you don't think about them.


Think about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment

RGB Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Belgium, Denmark, Canada, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Chile, Colombia, Germany, New Zealand, Mexico, India, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, Spain, France, Italy, Netherlands, Peru, Portugal, Sweden, Viet Nam, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Greece.United Kingdom, United States

Search This Blog

Blog Archive